Every year, Archer hosts a dinner and evening program for Spanish-speaking families to connect and learn more about Archer’s programs. Spanish language faculty work with Latina student leaders from the Hermanas Unidas club to organize the evening around topics related to Hispanic culture as well as academic and extracurricular life at Archer. Presentations are conducted in Spanish. Beyond providing an opportunity for our Spanish-speaking families to meet one another, the evening also affords families the chance to connect with key administrators and Spanish-speaking staff to facilitate future communication.
Annual Diversity Conference
The day-long event underscores Archer’s commitment to an ongoing exploration of our commonalities and differences. Through education, we aim to empower individuals by breaking down assumptions and stereotypes. We seek to broaden our awareness and understanding of the diverse identities and cultures reflected within the local and global communities in the hope of fostering inclusion, equity, and justice.
Keynote speakers have included Tiffany Smith-Anoa’i, Sonia Nazario, Rosetta Lee, Derrick Gay, Wendy Greuel, Jess Weiner, and Mellody Hobson.
Organizations we’ve partnered with include PFLAG, Little People of America, Museum of Tolerance, Special Olympics, Homeboy Industries, OPCC, YWCA, and Autism Speaks.
Sample Student and Faculty Workshops
- Disability Awareness and Inclusion
- The Art of Resistance: Exploring Feminist History and Our Own Identities through Creativity and Self-Expression
- Living the Double Life: A Conversation about Culture and Personal Identity
- ¡A Celebrar! Celebrating Latina culture with Archer's Hermanas Unidas
- The Importance of Allyship and Creating Effective Dialogue
- Inspiring Humanity Through Truth
- The Color Racism
- Gender, Expression, and Student Dress Codes
- Music, Media, and Mental Health
- Women, Domestic Violence and Homelessness in Los Angeles County.
- Beyond Confucius and Pearl Harbor: Exploring an Alternate Asian Perception
- Empathy Through Writing